Regarding Winterfell - Was: Re: PHP Fatal error: Class 'Sabre\VObject\Property\Text' not found (partially solved)

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at mykolab.com
Mon Jul 4 13:37:31 CEST 2016

On Tuesday, June 28, 2016 15.02:12 Timotheus Pokorra wrote:
> Hello Aaron or Jeroen,
>
> can you please comment on the issues of stability in Winterfell? See
> conversation below.
> What can the community do to help with this?
> > Winterfells seems not to be as stable as other development platforms.
> > Elsewhere its common to demand authors to check their commits. Like with
> > Debian unstable or even experimental for example - unusable builds are
> > quite uncommon, even with frequent changes. Developers are encouraged to
> > commit only coherent changes into the non-private development
> > repositories. Kolab:Winterfell is quite different here, leaving packages
> > in a broken state seems quite common.

This will happen less and less over time. We have been adopting more peer-
review and test-assisted-development models along with a git-flow based
workflow that moves away from "dump into master" and even "dump into develop".

This is a change the Kolab developers have been taking on this year, and which
we really only managed to fully commit to across the breadth of the product
repositories. So if we do our job well in this area, we should see a much more
predictable (though with the usual caveats about runtime stability / feature
immaturity) Winterfell.

What the community can do is to participate in peer review on git.kolab.org as
differentials are posted there (which is happening pretty regularly now), and
also assist in testing with Winterfell.

As an aside: there are no "private development repositories" -> we use feature
branches, release branches, develop-vs-master branches, and hotfix branches
now. All public. While you almost certainly meant "release-target branches"
(which develop fits in the context of Winterfell), it is all public. Which
makes a perfect opportunity to get involved.

A simple `git flow feature list` can show you what features are being worked
on; a trip to https://git.kolab.org/maniphest/ shows what is current under
review ... etc. And anyone can post reviews there as well!

--
Aaron Seigo