Kolab 3.4 - OU "special users" (not people) and webadmin interface

Matthias Busch catwiesel at gmx.net
Wed Aug 10 15:23:46 CEST 2016

(running kolab 3.4 on debian 7, single domain setup)

Hello,

in an attempt to create an account from which I could send automatic
status mails without having a "real user" / Kolab User show up in the
address book etc. did I create a new "User" with the OU special user
instead of people.

It seemed to have worked, I can login to the webinterface, I can send
E-Mails via SMTP.
However, the "new account" is not visible in the userlist in the
webadmin interface.

I have a feeling I know why this is the case (webadmin filters for
OU=People)?

Before I try to screw around in an attempt to fix it...
Is there a "easy" way to make "special users" visible in the webadmin
interface?
Is there a recommended way to make "special users" visible? (preferably
on demand, not continuously)

And if I did something really stupid and just got lucky it works, is
there a better way to setup accounts which will somehow be not normal
users, not show up in the address book, not be found in ldap OU=people
(I use ldap to authenticate my users against other services as well like
owncloud and xabber) and yet retain the ability to change those accounts
comfortably (webadmin) without having to resort to ldapmodify/ldappasswd ?

Thanks in advance
Catwiesel