Mails not getting expired

Tom Sparrow tom at thesparrows.net
Thu Oct 22 16:06:42 CEST 2015

On 12/10/15 14:47, Tom Sparrow wrote:
> My server seems to be insisting on keeping all the emails it's ever
> received. The IMAP clients quite happily show the emails that have not
> been deleted as expected, but looking in
> /var/spool/imap/domain/e/example.com/p/user/person (for example) shows
> far more emails, going back to when I started the server up (February,
> in this case).
>
> I've looked for relevant settings, but can't find anything that seems
> to be wrong.
>
> /etc/imap.conf has:
>
> deletedprefix: DELETED
> delete_mode: delayed
> expunge_mode: delayed
>
> /etc/cyrus.conf has:
>
>     deleteprune cmd="cyr_expire -E 4 -D 69" at=0430
>     expungeprune cmd="cyr_expire -E 4 -X 69" at=0445
>
> but I don't know where to look to see if these are running. I can't
> see any errors in the logs (but am unsure where these should be -
> cyrus seems to post to /var/log/maillog, is that right?)
>
> I su'd into cyrus and ran cyr_expire manually, but it returned
> immediately with no output and didn't seem to make any difference.
>
> On several web pages it mentions The expiration of messages is
> controlled by the */vendor/cmu/cyrus-imapd/expire* mailbox annotation,
> but I can't figure out how to list this and see if it's currently set.
> I'm not at my most confident with IMAP to be honest.
>

> Any help?
>
> Thanks,
> Tom.

I found the -a option on cyr_expire to ignore the annotations, but that
didn't help. Today  I ran cyr_expire -X 1 -v -a and it's still saying

$ /usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/cyr_expire -X 4 -v -a
Expunging deleted messages in mailboxes older than 4.00 days

Expired 0 and expunged 0 out of 0 messages from 0 mailboxes

Looking at unexpunge -l user/name at example.com I can see hundreds of
messages, the Expg date going back to at least the start of March, but
it still won't delete any.

I've had no answers anywhere on the internet (and I've not been
backwards about asking). Do I change the expunge_mode to delete them
immediately? Will that get rid of the old files at that point or will I
have to do that manually?

Thanks
Tom.