Mails not getting expired

Tom Sparrow tom at thesparrows.net
Mon Oct 12 15:47:28 CEST 2015

My server seems to be insisting on keeping all the emails it's ever
received. The IMAP clients quite happily show the emails that have not
been deleted as expected, but looking in
/var/spool/imap/domain/e/example.com/p/user/person (for example) shows
far more emails, going back to when I started the server up (February,
in this case).

I've looked for relevant settings, but can't find anything that seems to
be wrong.

/etc/imap.conf has:

deletedprefix: DELETED
delete_mode: delayed
expunge_mode: delayed

/etc/cyrus.conf has:

     deleteprune cmd="cyr_expire -E 4 -D 69" at=0430
     expungeprune cmd="cyr_expire -E 4 -X 69" at=0445

but I don't know where to look to see if these are running. I can't see
any errors in the logs (but am unsure where these should be - cyrus
seems to post to /var/log/maillog, is that right?)

I su'd into cyrus and ran cyr_expire manually, but it returned
immediately with no output and didn't seem to make any difference.

On several web pages it mentions The expiration of messages is
controlled by the */vendor/cmu/cyrus-imapd/expire* mailbox annotation,
but I can't figure out how to list this and see if it's currently set.
I'm not at my most confident with IMAP to be honest.

Any help?

Thanks,
Tom.