Android Built-in Email Client - Attachments won't download via Syncroton

Carpenter, Troy troy at carpenter.cx
Thu Nov 19 17:59:19 CET 2015

I believe this has been discussed before, but I'm not finding anything
in my quick searches on list or in Kolab BZ.

I have a user with a Samsung S5, using Lollipop (not sure which
version).  With the built-in email program connected via ActiveSync
(Syncroton), the user cannot view attachments on his phone.  I have
replicated it on my Note Edge running 5.1.1.  I sent myself an email
with a PDF attachment.  When using the built-in email program, if I
select "preview" or "download" on the attachment, I get an error message
on the phone that says "Unable to connect to server".  I remember seeing
this in the past, but since I don't use the built-in email client on
Android, I haven't bothered looking into it, and I guess the users have
just lived with it until I got a call today.

In the kolab-syncroton console log, it looks like the attachment gets
sent:

[19-Nov-2015 11:43:35,000000 -0500]: [DEBUG]
Syncroton_Server::_handlePost::176 xml response(0):
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE AirSync PUBLIC "-//AIRSYNC//DTD AirSync//EN"
"http://www.microsoft.com/">
<ItemOperations xmlns="uri:ItemOperations"
xmlns:Syncroton="uri:Syncroton" xmlns:AirSyncBase="uri:AirSyncBase"
xmlns:AirSync="uri:AirSync" xmlns:Search="uri:Search">
   <Status>1</Status>
   <Response>
     <Fetch>
       <Status>1</Status>

<AirSyncBase:FileReference>38b950ebd62cd9a66929c89615d0fc04::3844::2</AirSyncBase:FileReference>
       <Properties>
         <AirSyncBase:ContentType
xmlns="uri:AirSyncBase">application/pdf</AirSyncBase:ContentType>
         <Data> [LOTS OF DATA HERE] </Data>
       </Properties>
     </Fetch>
   </Response>
</ItemOperations>

I don't see anything in the error log.  I also don't see any logs
related to this in the Apache ssl access or error log.

Since I personally use Nine instead of the built-in Android client and
it doesn't have the problem.  However, the logs generated look exactly
the same.  Clearly the problem is with the Android email client, whether
in the client itself or in how Syncroton reacts to it.

I need some help tracking down exactly what's happening, including
increasing logs and such.  While I don't mind suggesting Nine as a
replacement to the user, that isn't really a solution.

If the is a BZ on this already, please let me know.  The closest I saw
is 3048, but I don't see those log signatures in my apache log.

Thanks,
Troy Carpenter
troy at carpenter dot cx