Kolab 3.4: Disaster

Stefan Froehlich stefan at ffa-it.com.au
Mon Mar 23 11:28:19 CET 2015

On 23/03/2015 7:26 PM, Tobias Brunner wrote:
>> After I'd turned off kolab_cache apache process don't usage high CPU ,
>> MySQL stopped eating disk space. But MySQL kolab_cahce-tables still use
>> a lot of disk space!
> I would not recommend turning of the cache, causes a lot of troubles with
> duplicate calendar/contact entries and a really bad performance.
I had duplicate calendar/contact entries even with cache enabled. And I
had about 700 calendar entries and the database table kolab_cache_event
should contain nearly if not precisely the same amount of rows. But it
didn't. During a single day it grew up to more than 40000 entries,
rendering cache useless, slow and with duplicate or even more entries
(some had almost 20), leading to heavy I/O and due to extensive syncing
with the mobile phones fast draining batteries. During this situation
one charge lasted only 12hrs or so (without even making a single phone
call). I started the reinstall last Thursday, and recharged the phone.
Today (almost 4 days later) it is still near 40% and I made some phone
calls too.
Believe me, if it comes to growing database you should better sooner
than later do something to solve that problem. Disabling cache competely
gives you more time to investigate but since I did'nt want to waste too
much time on it I decided to start from scratch. And it was worth it. No
more double entries, no more growing database, roundcube faster than
ever and mobile phone batteries lasting much longer.

MfG Stefan Fröhlich
42 ;-)