cyradm not working in murder setup

Trogdor Wasaman trogdor at gabrielforster.com
Tue Jul 28 14:35:30 CEST 2015

Trying to get Kolab 3.4 setup in a distrubuted environment. The last piece
of the puzzle seems to be getting Cyrus configured correctly for a murder
environement. Currently, only using 1 frontend and one backend.

mupdate and testsaslauthd checks seem to work fine. But, when trying to
create a user account using the command-line cyradm tools, from the
backend, I'm getting the following error:

cyradm -t "" -u kolab -w "${password}" ${cyrus_host}

verify error:num=18:self signed certificate

> cm user/kolab3test

verify error:num=18:self signed certificate

Invalid user at /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/Cyrus/IMAP/Admin.pm line 118

cyradm: cannot authenticate to [redacted.fqdn.backend.server]

and directly from the frontend:

> cm user/kolab3test

Password:

IMAP Password:

              Invalid user at
/usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/Cyrus/IMAP/Admin.pm line 118

cyradm: cannot authenticate to [redacted.fqdn.backend.server]

/var/log/messages on the backend only shows "perl: No worthy mechs found"

and /var/log/maillog says:

 imap[27001]: SASL bad userid authenticated

imap[27001]: badlogin: [redacted.fqdn.frontend.server] [10.2.1.26] PLAIN
[SASL(-13): authentication failure: bad userid authenticated]

Again, the ID/password combo will auth just fine with mupdatetest or
testsaslauthd. I think I have been adjusting the various conf files so much
that I can't see something obvious. I really don't want to start over again
as splitting the services is a headache - setup-kolab is horrid for setting
up a distributed environment, especially one that is using a separate LDAP
instance.

Any help would be appreciated. Maybe there is some current documentation
hiding somewhere for accomplishing what I am attempting?

Thanks!