Kolab 3 Unable to receive smtp mail using telnet or Outlook

Patrick Headley pheadley at linxco-inc.com
Tue Jul 21 07:54:13 CEST 2015

I have set up Kolab 3. On the Kolab server box I can use Kontact to send and receive emails. However, on a different box on the same network I cannot receive smtp emails. I first tried Outlook with no success. I then used telnet on a Windows box on the same network to send a message. The commands I used are shown below. Telnet definitely connects and you will see from an error message that it knows that the recipient email address is correct. The email appears to be sent but it never shows up in Kontact.

In another email thread I saw something about enabling unauthenticated smtp emails in order to receive emails from the Internet but that appears to be in Kolab 2. What do I need to do in Kolab 3 to be able to receive unauthenticated smtp email messages?

220 linx1004.linxconsulting.local ESMTP Postfix
helo linx1004.linxconsulting.local
250 linx1004.linxconsulting.local
mail fron: pheadley at linxco-inc.com
501 5.5.4 Syntax: MAIL FROM:<address>
mail from: pheadley at linxco-inc.com
250 2.1.0 Ok
rcpt to: pheadley at linxconsulting.local
550 5.1.1 <pheadley at linxconsulting.local>: Recipient address rejected: User unkn
own in local recipient table
rcpt to: headley.patrick at linxconsulin
502 5.5.2 Error: command not recognized
rcpt to: headley.patrick at linxconsulting.local
250 2.1.5 Ok
data