Kolab 3.4 tag explosion

Lance Charette lcharette at slingshottech.net
Wed Jul 8 14:17:35 CEST 2015

I found the Configuration directory for the user in question.  It should
be noted that to date there is only one user in our system that had been
using the 'tag' feature prior to the patch.  I have found the list of
files (numerically named and sequenced) that show within the tag in
question.  I have removed all these files tho I cringe at the thought
that I am removing legitimate email as well.  After removing all these
files and performing a screen refresh in Roundcubemail all the files
show up again in the Configuration directory, all the tags are still
there in Roundcubemail and nothing seems to have changed other than the
numbering of the files in the Configuration directory (picking up after
the last number of the originally moved files).

I appreciate the information you provided below however it doesn't
really tell me how to do what I need to achieve which is removing all
these tags from existing email and from the tag manager as well.

To be clear:

1. There is only one tag type created.  In this case 'printed' is the
name of the tag.
2. In the tag manager there are 100 tags in the tag manager, all named
'printed'.
3. Hundreds, if not thousands, of emails have multiple tags of 'printed'
assigned to them.
4. This email box has been brought to a crawl as a result of all these tags.
5. I can neither remove a tag, or all tags from any email through the
Roundcubemail interface.  They simply return even tho Roundcubemail's
status says they have been removed.
6. I can not delete any of the 'printed' tags from the tag manager.
7. The only reference I can find anywhere on the server to this
'printed' tag is an xml insert into a file that has the emails header
information but no body however there is a huge list of <member>
references in each one of these numerically named files under the users
Configuration directory.
8. These are business related emails and I do not have the luxury of
deleting the whole account and starting over.  We are required to keep
these emails for both business and legal reasons.

This is the community version of Kolab 3.4.  Is there no where on the
internet that provides any explanation on how these features should work
and how and where the information is actually stored? I find it
difficult to understand how the community can grow with additional
supporters/contributors if they are left to their own devices to reverse
engineer the packages that make up this system.  It simply isn't worth
anyones time to have to do that and it is a poor procedure in the
advancement of the package.  Please tell me I am wrong in this
assessment and where such information does exist if it indeed does.

Thank you again for your response and assistance.  Any additional
guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

hdokes