Calendar synchronization - kontact and roundcube

Nathan Christenson nchriste at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 25 18:56:18 CET 2015

Hello everyone,
I am having some configuration issues with kolab 3.3, installed on Ubuntu from the kolab package repository, and I am hoping the list can help me work through these.
Domain setupI currently have the server setup as follows: roundcubemail at one url (webmail.domain.com), and the other kolab-related services on another url (kolab.domain.com). The 389 server is running on localhost, cofigured with an third domain name (if that matters), my FQDN (petcatname.domain.com). The webservers, imap and smtp are all secured (not the LDAP server).
Question: FQDN versus servers
My FQDN is where LDAP, IMAP and SMTP are configured to listen - so, when asked for an IMAP or SMTP server, that is what I put in the dialog. However, this does not match the web-based access to kolab services, which are available at a different url. Is this causing some of th eissues below? What's the recommended / required way to set up kolab if I've got it wrong? Should all the services (IMAP, SMTP, LDAP) listen on kolab.domain.com?

Issue 1: Roundcubemail cannot access chwalaI changed the configuration in the "kolab_files.inc.php" configuration file to point to "https://kolab.domain.com/chwala" (instead of the default) - roundcubemail displays an error on the screen Connection Error: (Failed to Reach Server!); however, if I type https://kolab.domain.com/chwala into my browser, chwala works just fine. It also works well via WEBDAV.
Issue 2: kontact setup
I setup a new account in kontact (I use Arch LInux - Kontact 4.14.4) - I created the account in korganizer>settings>add>. For me, there are two choices - "kolab groupware server (legacy)", which is labeled as obsolete and seems to match the dialogs shown in most of the documentation I've found online (chossing between v2 and v3 formats, for example), and "kolab groupware server". I chose "kolab groupware server", which asked for my imap server and login, but nothing else. What's was unexpected is that I have a Calendar folder and a Files folder that show up as IMAP folders, and I get an email when I add a file to Chwala and some kind of notification I cannot access when I add calendar events in roundcubemail. The Calendar folder shows (2) unread messages, but shows as blank when selected.
Issue 3: calendar synchronizationMy roundcubemail and Kontact calendars do not sync - I can add events to my personal calendar in each, but Kontact events do not display in roundcubemail and roundcubemail events do not show in Kontact. Adding and editiing contacts works just fine.
Issue 4: activesync / syncrotonIn my current configuration, this doesn't work. Am I correct that I need to configure the web server so that syncroton is accessible through the webmail domain (webmail.domain.com/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync) and not kolab?
Thank you for any insight you can provide - I'd really appreciate it.
Nathan