Poor Roundcube performance with default configuration

Enrico Tagliavini enrico.tagliavini at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 17:13:08 CET 2015

Why for ext2 and ext3 you should be able to disable it? They are no
special when it comes to power loss. Yes the commit is forced every 5
seconds, and that's more than enough to corrupt stuff.

Other than that I would keep the sync enabled anyway since you might
have a battery backed cache on the drive / controller, but if the
write cache of your OS file system is lost well that's still not good.
What you can turn off to increase performance, if you have a battery
backed cache, are block level write barriers.

However what I'm saying is valid in general, no idea if cyrus-imapd
ensures some level on consistency by other means (like calling fsync()
when needed instead of doing every single write in sync mode). But I
still can't see any way why ext2 and ext3 would let you disable the
sync safely.

Best regards.
Enrico