Nightly Build

Timotheus Pokorra timotheus at kolab.org
Mon Aug 31 08:00:56 CEST 2015

Hello Paul,

We have these different repositories:
* nightly packages: they are really just for testing and for
development. completely unreliable.
* Kolab Development: the goal is that these packages will be updated
after a sprint, ie. the work items are finished, and it is ready for
testing.
* Kolab 3.4: this the current stable community version. at some point,
usually in February and August (we are late this time), we declare
Kolab Development to be stable, which becomes Kolab 3.x.
* Kolab 3.4 Updates: if the community decides that a bug should be
fixed, then there will be an updated package
* Kolab Enterprise: a release maintained by Kolab Systems, and
subscribed customers have access to that.

So I would not use nightly or Kolab Development for production use.
At TBits.net, we use the community version.
What I do is this: If I find a problem in the stable version, I try to
reproduce in the nightly version, to see if it was fixed already. If
it was fixed, I take the patch, otherwise I try to fix it myself and
submit it upstream. In both cases, I take the patch and apply it to
the stable version on my production system (after testing it again).

You can see how I do it for my boss here:
https://github.com/TBits/KolabScripts/tree/Kolab3.4/kolab

Actually, I have a system that builds RPM packages for our production
system at TBits.net, with the backported patches, and some patches
that are not ready yet to be integrated upstream. But that is in a
private git repository. It very much looks similar to the creation of
the nightly packages:
https://github.com/TBits/lbs-kolab-nightly/tree/master/updatecodeLBS

I hope this helps,
  Timotheus