More 3.4 calendar woes

Andy Kopciuch akopciuch at bddf.ca
Thu Aug 20 03:12:47 CEST 2015

To me it sounds as though the messages in the Contacts folder were deleted and
expunged.   I experienced this on a normal mail folder folder for a user
recently (problem with an iPhone - expunged all messages).

In Kolab 3 - deleted messages can be in 3 states (not just 2).

1.  Deleted - the IMAP deleted flag is set, and depending on the client
settings the message will still be visible to the user.
2.  Expunged - the message has been _deleted_ from the folder.   It is no
longer available to the user.   The message does still reside on disk in the
folder, and is mapped in the cyrus.expunge file.
3.  Expired - Cyrus (cyr_expire) will automatically run and "expire" all
expunged messages older than 69 days ... the default value in kolab.   This is
when the message will be permanently removed from disk.  To recover ... you
need to have a backup.

Using some cyrus tools, and the kolab cli client, you can see expunged
(deleted) messages and folders, and restore them within the 69 day period.

https://docs.kolab.org/administrator-guide/backup-and-restore.html

You can list all messages, and restore a single message by UID, or restore all
expunged messages in a folder.

removing the index, and header files, and then reconstructing will reset the
seen flag and all messages would appear as new.  If this happens to you again,
I would check to see what the expunged messages look like, and possibly you
can just restore them, instead of reconstructing.

Hope that helps,

Andy