Authenticating to services with an alias

Andy Kopciuch akopciuch at bddf.ca
Sun Aug 16 05:06:25 CEST 2015

Hi :

I am having a bit of trouble using an email alias to fully setup an account.

primary : andy.kopciuch at landy.ca
alias: a.kopciuch at landy.ca
alias: kopciuch at landy.ca
alias: akopciuch at landy.ca

I can login to the webmail without issue using the primary email address, or any alias.

I can also send mail, authenticating using an alias, as shown from the log:
(All aliases work fine sending)

<mail.log>
Aug 15 20:32:54 mail postfix/submission/smtpd[10002]: connect from S0106001346451f31.cg.shawcable.net[174.0.122.97]
Aug 15 20:32:55 mail postfix/submission/smtpd[10002]: AFB4FE8108E: client=S0106001346451f31.cg.shawcable.net[174.0.122.97], sasl_method=PLAIN, sasl_username=a.kopciuch at landy.ca
Aug 15 20:32:55 mail postfix/cleanup[10006]: AFB4FE8108E: message-id=<55CFF656.9060401 at landy.ca>
Aug 15 20:32:55 mail postfix/qmgr[26928]: AFB4FE8108E: from=<andy.kopciuch at landy.ca>, size=310, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Aug 15 20:32:55 mail postfix/submission/smtpd[10002]: disconnect from S0106001346451f31.cg.shawcable.net[174.0.122.97]
</mail.log>

However - attempting to authenticate with that same alias for IMAPs,
 (or POP3S), though a mail client like Thunderbird results in a failure shown here:

<mail.log>
Aug 15 20:39:58 mail imaps[10089]: ptload(): bad response from ptloader server: identifier not found
Aug 15 20:39:58 mail imaps[10089]: ptload completely failed: unable to canonify identifier: a.kopciuch at landy.ca
</mail.log>

Is this because the webmail is custom coded to allow alias authentication, and the submission
policy is also a custom written filter to allow this?  I assumed that if one could use an alias
to authenticate for one service, all services would accept those same credentials.  Is this not the case?

Is there something I can do to allow alias authentication through cyrus?

Andy