Setup Kolab 3.4: Problem with 389

Daniel Helgenberger daniel.helgenberger at m-box.de
Tue Apr 7 11:46:30 CEST 2015

Hello Kolab - Users,

my name is Daniel. I am new to Kolab in the process of evaluating Kolab
for a small family mail server deployment which I want to maintain in my
spare time. I figure a single server setup will suffice for this
purpose.

I am hitting an error in the early setup process:
Error: Could not create directory server instance 'kolab'.
Exiting . . .

From the beginning:
I am starting out with two test VMs, one CentOS7.1 (preferred) and for
validation CentOS6.6, both minimal install. Since I did not find any
system recommendations, I have set the VM to:
- one core
- 2GB mem

SElinux is set to permissive; firewalld / iptables turned off.

Packages installed with yum from the official repo. No problems here.

FQDN setup in /etc/hosts; though I have no way to set an rDNS record
right now for my test vm.

After running setup-kolab I get on both VMs:

> An error was detected in the setup procedure for 389 Directory Server. This setup
> will write out stderr and stdout to /var/log/kolab/setup.error.log and
> /var/log/kolab/setup.out.log respectively, before it exits.

/var/log/kolab/setup.error.log:
+Socket version 2.010
+found for hostname kolab.sdf.com
+ipaddr=192.168.0.50

/var/log/kolab/setup.out.log:
Hostname 'kolab.sdf.com' is valid, but none of the IP addresses
resolve back to kolab.sdf.com
- address 192.168.0.50 resolves to host kolab
Error: Could not create directory server instance 'kolab'.
Exiting . . .
Log file is '/tmp/setupIH8joJ.log'

I seem unable to trace this any further, nothing is logged
in /var/log/messages.

Any clue how to debug this? Thanks in advance;

--
Daniel Helgenberger
m box bewegtbild GmbH

P: +49/30/2408781-22
F: +49/30/2408781-10

ACKERSTR. 19
D-10115 BERLIN

www.m-box.de  www.monkeymen.tv

Geschäftsführer: Martin Retschitzegger / Michaela Göllner
Handeslregister: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg / HRB 112767