Multi-domain setup with Kolab 3.3 on CentOS 7

Cornelius Hald hald at icandy.de
Mon Sep 29 22:51:48 CEST 2014

Well, at least I'm not alone :)

While writing this mail, it looks like I've solved my initial issue. So
the following is more of a walk through. Comments of people with more
insights are very welcome.

TL;DR
In imapd.conf replace
ldap_domain_base_dn: ""
with
ldap_domain_base_dn: cn=kolab,cn=config

__ The story (so far) __

To me it looks like /var/log/dirsrv/slapd-kolab/access has the most
information about what is going on.

I think the imapd.conf is a bit strange. I've left the file mostly
untouched and only added the following at the end.

# Added for multi-domain support
ldap_domain_base_dn: ""
ldap_domain_filter:
(&(objectclass=domainrelatedobject)(associateddomain=%s))
ldap_domain_name_attribute: associatedDomain
ldap_domain_scope: sub
ldap_domain_result_attribute: inetdomainbasedn

After that I see LDAP messages like this:

conn=29 op=4 SRCH dn="""" authzid="(null)", invalid dn
conn=29 op=4 RESULT err=34 tag=101 nentries=0 etime=0

LDAP error 34 is LDAP_INVALID_DN_SYNTAX.

So after that I though maybe someone just added a typo to the
documentation and tried to use single quotes instead of double quotes.
The line in imapd.conf now looks like this:

ldap_domain_base_dn: ''

After restarting everything and trying to log in again the LDAP messages
look better. There are no 'invalid dn' messages anymore.

conn=10 op=4 SRCH base="''" scope=2
filter="(&(objectClass=domainrelatedobject)(associatedDomain=zwong.de))"
attrs="associatedDomain inetDomainBaseDN"
conn=10 op=4 RESULT err=32 tag=101 nentries=0 etime=0

Unfortunately the query returns 0 entries, so it looks like my second
domain (zwong.de) cannot be found. Well, to be honest that DN still
looks a bit strange to me.

Let's see how a working query for the primary domain looks like:

conn=34 op=1 SRCH base="cn=kolab,cn=config" scope=2
filter="(&(objectClass=domainrelatedobject)(associatedDomain=spongecomputing.com))" attrs="associatedDomain inetDomainBaseDN"

So the search base is "cn=kolab,cn=config". Shouldn't that be the search
base for my secondary domain as well? Let's give it a try. In imapd.conf
I've changed the line to:

ldap_domain_base_dn: cn=kolab,cn=config

After restarting everything the login to my secondary domain works.
Unfortunately roundcube gives me the error "Server Error: STATUS:
Mailbox does not exist" after login.

Well, so maybe because of the broken imapd setup, the users were not
correctly created by kolab-webadmin? So I've created a new user for my
secondary domain and this time the login worked and the error about the
missing mailbox was gone. Looks pretty good now.

The make a long story short. In imapd.conf replace
ldap_domain_base_dn: ''
with
ldap_domain_base_dn: cn=kolab,cn=config

It would be great if someone with more knowledge could tell me if this
is a good idea or if I'm making a terrible mistake.

Cheers,
Conny