Roles & Groups

Daniel Hoffend dh at dotlan.net
Fri Sep 5 11:06:19 CEST 2014

Well sure it's easy to run an ldap query on nsrole to see all the users
or limit the scope for $app as "login filter". But in the webadmin you
currently only see all members of a group, but you can't see all members
that have role X.

Some LDAP servers supports the memberOf attribute or overlay for
example, to provide the something similar to what the nsrole attribute
can be used to.

But when you start from scratch it can be hard to choose if you should
use Groups or Roles to achieve X. For example you use groups to organize
your org structure, teams, etc. But when you start creating shared
folders in imap, do you want to use groups for this or to you want to
use roles for this. I know this is a design decision, but for first time
users it's getting hard to understand the differences.

I totally understand that Roles are the perfect choice to for assign
admin roles, application access roles, or suspend a user (like suggested
in the hosted kolab scenario). But for everything else it's gets fuzzy
and there're multiple ways to achieve your goal. I'm totally aware that
most things can be done using groups or roles, that's why I opened the
discussion for "best practices" (example: and the reason why nsrole was
used for imap groups in the default configuration instead of real
groups). Just to make it easier to understand for first-time users who
might be overwhelmed with LDAP in the first place.

--
Regards
Daniel