Kolab version where it is not a must to be an email server developer?

Rick mudmanc4 at spamarrest.com
Mon Sep 1 17:33:39 CEST 2014

I’ve been using Kolab for around one year for personal interests, after leaving it alone sometime in 2012 (which seems to be the last stable out of the box version)
because it does seem to have huge potential. And I enjoy learning.
When a new version comes out, I grab that and use it on another personal domain. (which was my demise after more than a year or so)
I see new features, yet without a good bit of script editing they are for the most part un-usable.

Such as chwala, I’ve not been able to get that running , inside or outside of roundcube. I’ve been bounced back and forth between git pastes,
email list threads and random personal sites that have solutions for one version of one or another script within a certain version of Kolab.

Take the initial Kolab-webadmin, one must place the API URI in the conf to even initially use the system, for the last two versions.
I should mention 3.3 one must now find the API URI to access chwala outside of roundcube.

While ‘files’ within roundcube, the icons are greyed out, I’ve yet to find a solution for this.
Although there are many requests for this issue one can spend countless hours searching through email lists and still find no definitive solution.

The administration guide for 3.3 is a work in progress I see, such as were the last two versions, which much has yet to be completed.

I understand this is a development version not a supported version, so I am not complaining, in any sense.
It seems that after following this for the short time I have, much less focus on implementing fixes, than is adding new features.

Of course i do not understand why some of the basic initial patches are not implemented such as the API business,
HTTPS between chwala and Kolab conf files, that does not mean there is no good reason, I’m sure there are good reasons.
Is chwala going to be stand alone or integrated, it is integrated into kolab , yet un-usable in it’s default state.

Email servers might be some of the most complicated and intricate code structures on the planet Earth, as well this is where we started isn’t it.

Should I stick to server administration and just let kolab go, finding another way of implementing the features I want, or continue to spend
countless, fruitless hours attempting to get Kolab running , I ask myself.

I miss when I initially installed kolab sometime in 2010 or 11, tweaked and edited a few things for intent and purpose and more or less let it go
until there was a reason for getting into the system.

Just my thoughts, not attacking or trying to irritate.