frequent ptloader "errors"

Matthias Busch catwiesel at gmx.net
Sun Oct 26 19:32:45 CET 2014

Kolab 3.3 on debian 7.6 x64

further settings that MAY be important to know:

- ssl enabled/required (startssl free certificate)
- amavis with anti spam and clam av enabled

- single domain system:
- system hostname: kolab.domain.tld
- hostfile: localhost = 127.0.0.1 & kolab.domain.tld, domain.tld, kolab = public ip
- system mailname: domain.tld
- kolab/ldap domain setup: dc=domain, dc=tld
- dns settings: domain.tld and www.domain.tld to public ip, no other ?.domain.tld setup/available
- mx dns setting: public ip points to domain.tld

I frequently get ptloader errors in syslog

Oct 26 16:51:31 kolab ptloader[4179]: No entries found
Oct 26 16:51:31 kolab imap[8278]: ptload(): bad response from ptloader server: identifier not found
Oct 26 16:51:31 kolab imap[8278]: ptload failed: but canonified name.name at domain.tld –> name.name at domain.tld

greping the syslog for ptload I can see that the error is frequent:

13:17
13:32
13:47
14:02
14:17
15:21
15:36
15:51
16:06
16:21
16:36
16:51

this seems only to happen to my account although currently there are only a handfull accounts set up and only two are being used.

my account is being used with thunderbird and active sync
the other account is so far only used with active sync

I tried to look in cron jobs what might be running at those times but I did not find something of interest. I do not rule out that I looked in the wrong place though.

so it may be a problem with imap and/or thunderbird. maybe its frequent since the “causing” client is doing stuff at that time...

this error seems not (yet) to break something badly. I can send and receive mails, I can log in via imap-client and webmail and use primary or secondary usernames. however, I suspect that this error is causing or at least showing a symptom that sometimes received email does not show up in thunderbird (but it does in webmail – which is funny since webmail is connecting via imap as well)

I tried googling and found some older kolab related posts, usually from version < 3.3 and/or with multi domain systems
Other none related information hints that ptload is used with cyrus imap and has to do with ldap auth

however, all this information is not really helping me figuring out why this error pops up, what other problems this might cause and more importantly, how to fix it...

long story short, I would appreciate some information as to how to find the cause for this problem and if possible, fix it.

thanks
Catwiesel