Completely remove a user / delete mailbox

Marco Zanon info at marcozanon.com
Tue Nov 11 13:38:15 CET 2014

> Which is the correct way to completely remove a user?

Hi Thomas,

I'm new to Kolab, but this is what I noticed - even on a new
installation (I reformatted the VM, reinstalled a new Debian 7 and did a
new Kolab 3.3 setup).

a) If you remove a user from the kolab-webadmin interface, it won't get
deleted, neither immediately nor delayed (I also waited a few minutes
for some cronjob to remove the user, but nothing happened).

b) You also (= after deleting from kolab-webadmin) have to delete it for
yourself via command-line:
kolab dm user/user.name at your.domain
By doing so, Cyrus will set the user as DELETED (kind of a Trash, where
you can recover it from within 69 days - by default).

c) If you also want to purge it immediately, you can run the following:
/usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/cyr_expire -D 0 -E 0 -X 0
(the path is taken from a Debian installation).

I still don't get the missing link between a) and b), though. Why can't
it be automated?

Thanks,
--
Marco Zanon