Updates

Aeneas Jaißle aj at ajaissle.de
Thu May 15 18:31:14 CEST 2014

Am Donnerstag, 15. Mai 2014, 16:13:48 schrieb Hügel, Christian:
> Am 13-05-2014 16:34, schrieb Hügel:
> > Hi,
> >
> > today there are some updates for CentOS available:
> >
> > Updating:
> >  cyrus-imapd                  x86_64              2.5-2.7.el6.kolab_3.2
> >  kolab                        noarch
> > 3.1.1-20.3.el6.kolab_3.2
> >  kolab-cli                    noarch
> > 0.6.12-10.12.el6.kolab_3.2
> >  kolab-conf                   noarch
> > 3.1.1-20.3.el6.kolab_3.2
> >  kolab-imap                   noarch
> > 3.1.1-20.3.el6.kolab_3.2
> >  kolab-ldap                   noarch
> > 3.1.1-20.3.el6.kolab_3.2
> >  kolab-mta                    noarch
> > 3.1.1-20.3.el6.kolab_3.2
> >  kolab-saslauthd              noarch
> > 0.6.12-10.12.el6.kolab_3.2
> >  kolab-server                 noarch
> > 0.6.12-10.12.el6.kolab_3.2
> >  kolab-webclient              noarch
> > 3.1.1-20.3.el6.kolab_3.2
> >  mozldap                      x86_64
> > 6.0.5-28.3.el6.kolab_3.2
> >  mozldap-tools                x86_64
> > 6.0.5-28.3.el6.kolab_3.2
> >  postfix-kolab                noarch
> > 0.6.12-10.12.el6.kolab_3.2
> >  pykolab                      noarch
> > 0.6.12-10.12.el6.kolab_3.2
> >  pykolab-xml                  noarch
> > 0.6.12-10.12.el6.kolab_3.2
> >  wallace                      noarch
> > 0.6.12-10.12.el6.kolab_3.2
> >

> > Are there any Changelogs?
> >
> > Thx,
> >
> > Chris
>
> I don´t want to be picky on this but IMO it would be nice to have also a
> changelog released with the updates? Is there a technical or
> organizational issue why it isn´t done?
>
> Thx
>
> Chris

Hi Chris,

first of all: the packages are built on OBS and it may happen, that specific packages do a rebuilt when some of the packages it requires for building change. This happens automatically and is represented by a build count (<B_CNT>).

A package is also rebuild, wehn on OBS a commit is made. A commit may be a change to the packaging only as well as patch, a version increment etc. It is represented by a commit count (<CI_CNT>).

Take for example:
> wallace                      noarch
> 0.6.12-10.12.el6.kolab_3.2

The version tag is build as of follows:
<PACKAGE_VERSION>-<RELEASE_TAG>, where the release tag contains <CI_CNT>.<B_CNT> and may be followed by a <DISTRIBUTION_TAG>.

It contains wallace in version 0.6.12 as of the 10th commit, and had 12 rebuilds (0.6.12 - 10.12).

Second, I think the following applies:

* If the version changed, there would be a changelog entry for this
* If a patch got applied to fix something, there would also be a changelog entry for this
* If the CI_CNT increased and there is no changelog, this commit is by a high chance one that does not affect your distribution and you can ignore the update
* If the B_CNT increased, it is just a rebuild, you can as well ignore it

It may be that a patch for debian is applied and represented in the .deb packages changelog, but not in the .rpm packages changelog. Then, there may be an increment in the CI_CNT, but CentOS would not be affected, thus nothing to log here.

I'm sure that all applied patches as well as version increments are documented monitored by Jeroen.

(Except for openSUSE where packages on Kolab's OBS are still experimental and I may submit minor changes not worth documentation. Btw, the list above contains a lot of packages I did a commit to in the past few days, only touching the packaging if openSUSE-RPMs)

--
    ____
  /@    ~-.     Aeneas Jaißle