Migration from Microsoft Outlook to Kolab

Thinker Rix thinkerix at rocketmail.com
Fri Mar 14 14:11:11 CET 2014

Hi Christoph,

Thank you for your time!

On 2014-03-14 14:47, Christoph Hartlmueller wrote:
> RE: Re[2]: Migration from Microsoft Outlook to Kolab
>
>     *From:* Daniel Hoffend <dh at dotlan.net>
>     > But how about the other elements such as contacts, calendar and
>     tasks?
>     Is there maybe a similar straight-forward solution for those, too?
>
>     Just try to export the Contacts/Calendar as CSV or set of VCards
>     and try
>     an import via the roundcube webgui.
>
>     for the Tasks. This can be complicated if not impossible cause webgui
>     doesn't support import/export of tasks and there's no protocol
>     (TaskDAV)
>     or file type that has a common description how tasks are beeing saved
>     (compared to .ics or .vcd for calendar and contacts).
>
>     It is possible that Outlook can export your tasks to a CSV file
>     but i'm
>     nt sure if Kontact is able to import and convert them.
>

>     tbh. I would just install a kolab instance and start playing
>     around with
>     it. You don't have to migrate today, so take your time, play
>     around with
>     it until you're happy with it. There'll be more questions once you
>     start
>     migrating anyway.
>
> Hi,
>
> since Outlook 2013 is able to sync with ActiveSync servers, you might
> be able to do all the migration using Outlook 2013 and moving data
> from your local Outlook2013 to your Kolab server. Just an idea, I have
> not done this before.
>
> I dont know whats the state of Syncroton and Outlook 2013 either. But
> I hear some time2.0 people saying that it works (Tine2.0 also uses
> Syncroton). But if it works, chances are high you can migrate everything.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Christoph

Christoph, thank you very much for this idea of yours!
I found this: https://kolab.org/about/syncroton and as far as I
understand, Kolab can accept ActiveSync connections.As far as I know,
ActiveSync is a MS program, which I can install on windows and it should
work also with Outlook 2003, isn't it? So with other words: I could just
connect with ActiveSync and sync all my stuff to Kolab and I am done?!?!?
If that would be true, it would be wonderful and amazingly easy!

Is anybody reading who can confirm this/ has already done that and has
some experience on it to share with us?

Thank you for your help!

Cheers
Thinker Rix