Debian: Error with 3.1 setup-kolab and mysql setup

Karma Kolabor kolaborista at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 21:39:21 CET 2014

Ok, I did this, but no other results. Lots of output but it comes down
to the same errors as described above, I do not see more usable
information.

As I used a clean debian netinst iso this error should be reproducable easily.

One interesting thing: I input a *wrong* mysql password on purpose
while setup-kolab asks, just to see what happens and if it gives some
hints:

MySQL root password:
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using
password: YES)

Please supply a password for the MySQL user 'kolab'. This password will be used
by Kolab services, such as the Web Administration Panel.

you can see, setup continues - and fails, of course. So here
definitely is some error handling missing!

However, I really wanted to go one step further somehow and I read
that centos or redhat is your reference platform, so I tried to
install it on centos following the docs.

You can imagine in which desperate state a debian user must be to get
down to use centos :) ? Well, not really using it, I would never
change my debian servers, I just wanted to see what should happen and
if I could get some hint, also I wanted to just see Kolab in action
finally after such a frustrating day.

You know what happened? It DID NOT install! It failed with this error:

An error was detected in the setup procedure for 389 Directory Server.
This setup
will write out stderr and stdout to /var/log/kolab/setup.error.log and
/var/log/kolab/setup.out.log respectively, before it exits.

[root at centos yum.repos.d]# cat /var/log/kolab/setup.error.log
+Socket6
Can't call method "getText" on an undefined value at
/usr/lib64/dirsrv/perl/DSUtil.pm line 259.

[root at centos yum.repos.d]# cat /var/log/kolab/setup.out.log
Creating directory server . . .

I can offer some more testing man power, but it would make more sense,
if step one did not fail. If the packaging team did at least one
single test on a freshly installed virtual machine following the
install instructions in the docs literally, these errors must have
been detected. I have no special setup here, just clean stock debian
and centos minimal installation isos in a virtual machine.

Maybe I will file a bug tomorrow, maybe I will wait some time until
3.1 release stabilizes. Maybe today is a "black cat day" or some bad
voodoo going on, however, I am used to testing (much more complicated)
software and setups, so I doubt that I did something wrong. Diving
into the source is not an option for me atm as there are too strict
time restrictions, but I will keep an eye on Kolab!

Thanks again for your attention,
Karma