Kontact for Windows ready for 3.1?

Thomas Reitelbach tr at erdfunkstelle.de
Mon Jan 6 14:47:45 CET 2014

Am Montag, 6. Januar 2014, 14:09:25 schrieb Torsten Grote:
> On Saturday 04 January 2014 17:34:14 Thomas Reitelbach wrote:
> > does anyone know if Kontact for Windows (build in July 2013) is ready for
> > Kolab 3.1? In the mailbox assistant it is possible to select Format
> > Version
> > 3,  but i have the feeling it is not fully compatible...
>
> This Kontact version should work with Kolab.org 3.1 since the Kolab format
> was not changed from 3.0 to 3.1.
>
> > I experience several difficulties using it with Kolab 3.1 including data
> > loss (especially with contacts).
>
> Did you look into what might be causing this? It shouldn't be specific to
> Kolab.org 3.1. I'm using Kontact on GNU/Linux every day and don't see such
> problems.

Are you using the windows version?

I have had several problems with kontact for windows regarding kolab 3.1.
I'm using a fresh install of Kolab 3.1 on CentOS 6.4 (64bit - is this
important? I don't have the feeling that this is the source of my problems)

a) A new contact created is by Kontact for Windows (build 7/2013, downloaded
from http://mirror.kolabsys.com/pub/upload/windows/ ).
After a few minutes it appears in Roundcube and via ActiveSync it appears on
my iphone and a google Nexus 4 (Android 4.2).
Now I add the birthday to this contact via Kontact. It is synced to the kolab
server, but neither Roundcube nor my iphone or Android phone can ever see the
birthday - it simply is not shown.
The other way around isn't working, too. The birthday (created by
roundcube/iphone/android) is never synced to Kontact-client. The used format
seems to be incompatible.

b) For testing I migrated my mail spool from my current production Kolab 2.2
server to my kolab 3.1 (which up to now is only running for testing purposes
on my VMware-Host).
I have fixed the annotations for my folders and used the format upgrade tools.
After all, everything seems to be working. Kontact-Client shows all mails,
shows the calendar and the addressbook with all its contacts. Also syncing via
activeSync is working and roundcube seems to be working just fine with the
imported spool.
But now I use Kontact to change a contact (phone number or something else). It
is beeing synced to the server and immediately the contact disappears from
roundcube and after the next sync it also disappears from iphone and google
nexus phone. Kontact still shows the contact and on the server-side in the
imap mail spool directory I can see the file for the contact (and it contains
the changes made by Kontact).

c) Calendar entries created by Kontact-Client and marked as "all day event"
are beeing synced to my android phone. But on android the created event does
not show up as an allday-event but instead occupies the whole day from 00:00
to 00:00 on the next day, which is really disturbing. I experience a very
similar problem with Z-Push from kolab 2.2 and was hoping this bug would be
fixed with 3.1.