Partitioning Scheme

Brad G wbg1968 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 2 22:20:03 CET 2014

I've read over the docs and quite frankly I'm seeing some conflicting info
out there so I thought I would inquire here.

This is on a CentOS 6.5 1TBx2 server that I have not setup yet until I'm
set on a proper partition scheme.

I can get all carried away with something like this:

Using LVM. RAID 1

/ 6GB
/boot 300MB
/swap 12GB
/var 25GB
/tmp 10GB
/kolab 2GB
/kolab/var 4GB
/kolab/var/imapd/spool 750GB  (if I understand correctly this is where mail
is stored so I would want to use all I could here)

The following directories could benefit from being on separate logical
volumes, leaving about 10% of raw disk space in the volume group
unallocated:
/var/lib/mysql/
/var/lib/imap/
/var/spool/imap/
So what size should these be?

Using a 1TB HD does anyone have some real world partition schemes they
would like to share?

Thanks,

Brad