Migrate to Kolab: Which OS is best choice?

Thinker Rix thinkerix at rocketmail.com
Thu Feb 20 10:37:10 CET 2014

Hi Jan,

On 2014-02-19 22:20, Jan Kowalsky wrote:
> Am Wednesday, 19. February 2014 schrieb Thinker Rix:
>> - Which of those distributions would be best to pick for Kolab, other
>> than the reference Red Hat (RHEL)? What would the second best choice be,
>> right after RHEL, when it comes to use Kolab in a productive environment?
>>
> Hi Thinker,
>
> look around in earlier threads on the list - there you'll find a lot of
> discussion about.

Ok!
> CentOs is the best supported distribution - as you guessed. But a lot of
> people running it on debian - sometimes with small problems but quite well at
> all. We are using a test environment on debian at the moment. For us it
> clinched that we are familiar with debian more then with redhat. Fedora I
> haven't tried.
>
> So I think it depends more which systems do you know best.

Ok, since I will use the OS in a virtual machine just to run Kolab, I
will go with CentOS then, so to pick the OS which is best supported and
encounter as few problems as possible with Kolab itself.
As for being familiar with the OS: I am most familiar with openSUSE, but
since I will come in contact with the OS inside the virtual machine only
while installing Kolab, I guess that I will do fine with CentOS, too.

Thank you very much for your help!

Cheers
Thinker Rix

P.S.: It would be really great for Kolab if there would be a ready-made
turn-key appliance for Kolab, i.e. a virtual machine file with ready set
up OS + set up Kolab, so that someone just has to plug it into his
Virtual Environment as a new virtual machine and be up and running in 5
minutes :-)