Migrate to Kolab: Which OS is best choice?

Jan Kowalsky jankow at datenkollektiv.net
Wed Feb 19 21:20:36 CET 2014

Am Wednesday, 19. February 2014 schrieb Thinker Rix:
> Hi all,
>
> The time has come and we will finally now migrate to Kolab.
> As far as we have figured, Kolab is not (yet?) available as a turnkey
> appliance (i.e. a ready bundle of an OS and Kolab), but as package for
> installation on a distribution. We found this information on the website:
> "Native packages are available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux
> <http://docs.kolab.org/installation-guide/rhel.html>, CentOS
> <http://docs.kolab.org/installation-guide/centos.html>, Fedora
> <http://docs.kolab.org/installation-guide/fedora.html>, Debian
> <http://docs.kolab.org/installation-guide/debian.html> and experimental
> packages are available for OpenSUSE
> <https://kolab.org/news/2012/12/11/kolab-3-rc1-released-planned-packaged-op
> ensuse> and Ubuntu <http://docs.kolab.org/installation-guide/ubuntu.html>.
> Please note that all packages except those for our reference platform RHEL
> are a community effort
> <http://kolab.org/blog/grote/2013/10/23/call-participation> and
> therefore need help from you to work properly."
>
> What we want to ask is:
> - Which of those distributions would be best to pick for Kolab, other
> than the reference Red Hat (RHEL)? What would the second best choice be,
> right after RHEL, when it comes to use Kolab in a productive environment?
> - We know that CentOS in general is a RHEL clone, so we suppose that
> CentOS would be as good for Kolab as RHEL itself, isn't it?
> - How about the other native packages for Fedora and Debian, are they as
> good as the RHEL/CentOS packages, too, or is it best just to stick to
> CentOS for an productive system?
> - How is the current state of the experimental packages for OpenSUSE,
> are they doing any progress and will be production grade soon?
>
> Thanks for any feedback
>
> Thinker Rix

Hi Thinker,

look around in earlier threads on the list - there you'll find a lot of
discussion about.

CentOs is the best supported distribution - as you guessed. But a lot of
people running it on debian - sometimes with small problems but quite well at
all. We are using a test environment on debian at the moment. For us it
clinched that we are familiar with debian more then with redhat. Fedora I
haven't tried.

So I think it depends more which systems do you know best.

Regards

Jan