Migration from Microsoft Outlook to Kolab

Thinker Rix thinkerix at rocketmail.com
Wed Feb 19 18:27:48 CET 2014

Hi all,

the time has come and we will now migrate to Kolab finally.

Currently we have 4 users using Microsoft Outlook (with MS Windows) on
as stand alone application (i.e. without any groupware server such as
Microsoft Exchange, etc.). Each of those users saves his email and other
PIM data such as address book, calendar, tasks and notes inside his
personal file (.pst).
Now what we want to do is to migrate windows to GNU/Linux and Outlook to
Kontact. Aditionally we want to install Kolab to act as a PIM server for
Kontact.

What we want to ask is:
- How do we migrate those .pst files to Kontact/Kolab in the easiest and
most solid way? We have seen https://wiki.kolab.org/Microsoft_Exchange
but could not really make head or tail of it, since there are multiple
solutions listed, but no recommendation and many things seem outdated
(speaking about Kolab 2.1 etc.). Further some of the solutions talk
about how to migrate MS Exchange, but we do not need that. We have only
Microsoft Outlook as stand alone application. So: Could anybody give us
a suggestion/hint/advice/feedback on how to migrate from Outlook 2007 to
Kontact / Kolab 3.1 in the best and easiest way?
- Will we be able to migrate anything from the .pst (including tasks and
notes) or only parts of it?
- Is there anything special to know and keep in mind for this migration?

Thank you for any feedback!!
Thinker Rix