Migrate to Kolab: Which OS is best choice?

Thinker Rix thinkerix at rocketmail.com
Wed Feb 19 18:13:23 CET 2014

Hi all,

The time has come and we will finally now migrate to Kolab.
As far as we have figured, Kolab is not (yet?) available as a turnkey
appliance (i.e. a ready bundle of an OS and Kolab), but as package for
installation on a distribution. We found this information on the website:
"Native packages are available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux
<http://docs.kolab.org/installation-guide/rhel.html>, CentOS
<http://docs.kolab.org/installation-guide/centos.html>, Fedora
<http://docs.kolab.org/installation-guide/fedora.html>, Debian
<http://docs.kolab.org/installation-guide/debian.html> and experimental
packages are available for OpenSUSE
<https://kolab.org/news/2012/12/11/kolab-3-rc1-released-planned-packaged-opensuse>
and Ubuntu <http://docs.kolab.org/installation-guide/ubuntu.html>.
Please note that all packages except those for our reference platform
RHEL are a community effort
<http://kolab.org/blog/grote/2013/10/23/call-participation> and
therefore need help from you to work properly."

What we want to ask is:
- Which of those distributions would be best to pick for Kolab, other
than the reference Red Hat (RHEL)? What would the second best choice be,
right after RHEL, when it comes to use Kolab in a productive environment?
- We know that CentOS in general is a RHEL clone, so we suppose that
CentOS would be as good for Kolab as RHEL itself, isn't it?
- How about the other native packages for Fedora and Debian, are they as
good as the RHEL/CentOS packages, too, or is it best just to stick to
CentOS for an productive system?
- How is the current state of the experimental packages for OpenSUSE,
are they doing any progress and will be production grade soon?

Thanks for any feedback

Thinker Rix