Bind user with rights to change password.

Nikolai Maziashvili mlist_kolab at cyclinggeorgian.com
Mon Dec 29 01:18:01 CET 2014

Hi everybody,

To ldap knowledgeable among you i got a question about creating a bind
user that would have one, single, extra right besides lookup - changing
passwords. Some web applications (owncloud, wordpress, gnusocial) give
users ability to change there own passwords. When connected to
(kolab/389) ldap through bind user they loose this possibility. I was
thinking to create new (bind) user that would have extra right to change
password.
I was thinking to create a user in "Special Users" ou, but have no idea
how. Then i tried to create new user object type with extra
passwordPolicy object class. Adding new password related
(passwordChange) attribute, thinking that this would give user of this
type ability to manipulate passwords. But i was wrong :)...
So if you could give me some quick tips on how to approach this, would
be great.

Thanks in advance,
Nikolai