Kolab 3.3 install - multiple servers

Jan Kowalsky jankow at datenkollektiv.net
Fri Dec 12 19:41:17 CET 2014

Hi Trogdor,

I'll post it on the list again. Some other people seemed to are
interested in these usecases.

Am 11.12.2014 19:43, schrieb Trogdor Wasaman:
> Thanks, I've mostly got this. I'm using one server (maybe eventually a
> cluster) for each role. i.e. - one mysql server, one postfix server, one
> roundcube server, etc.
>
> I'd like to split imap into frontends and backends - I'll consult the cyrus
> documentation for a murder configuration when I get to that point.
>
> I've run into the issue where when setting up roundcube, it doesn't take
> the root password of the mysql database. Not sure what is going on there.

Yes, this is a little bit special. The setup routine only works if mysql
and roundcube is set up in the same step. But this is not what we want.

So you have to provide the mysql-settings by yourself:

after setting up mysql touch a file:

/tmp/kolab-setup-my.cnf

[mysql]
user=root
password='ROOT-PASSWORD'

This is the file kolab-setup provides for roundcube - but deletes it
after finishing the kolab-setup.

So do

setup-kolab mysql

vi /tmp/kolab-setup-my.cnf ...

setup-kolab roundcube

But as mentioned: at kolab 3.3 I got some problems installing roundcube
separately. On 3.2 it worked like descriebed.

> Have questions about which pieces go where:
>
> Which server should the webadmin go on? Roundcube? MySQL?

There are many possibilities. Depends on your purpose. E.g. we have it
on the ldap-server, because ldap is inside our private network protected
through firewall. And we don't want to provide the kolab webadmin
public. We use an mysql-server on the ldap-server for the webadmin.
There is stored nothing else than the user-types. (The mysql-server for
roundcube we place on the same server as roundcube)

If all users shall have access to the kolab-webadmin frontend maybe the
server with roundcube is a good place - because you need only one apache
setup. At the moment we are setting up a second instance of webadmin on
the mailserver (roundcube, postfix, cyrus) - only with the  settings
module for edit user settings.

> Which server should kolabd be setup on?

We have it on the mailserver. It establishes a lot of imap connections.
Maybe the kolab experts have another proposal.

> Thank you again.

You're welcome

I think, it's time for a howto. I'll start one when I come through ...

> Cheers!
>
> On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 3:05 PM, Jan Kowalsky <jankow at datenkollektiv.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Trogdor,
>>
>> Am 09.12.2014 um 16:54 schrieb Trogdor Wasaman:
>>> Stupid question - what's the best way to remove individual components in
>>> CentOS? Or, reset everything and try the other method mentioned.
>>
>> I think both methods work. On a fresh installation I personally prefer
>> the one installing only the needed components.
>>
>> I'm not familiar with centos. But just remove the unused packages with yum.
>>
>> e.g.:
>>
>> yum remove kolab-webadmin
>>
>> On debian these meta-packages exist:
>>
>> kolab - Metapackage for Kolab Groupware Server
>> kolab-cli - Command-line utilities for Kolab
>> kolab-conf - Configuration management for Kolab
>> kolab-freebusy - Free/Busy for Kolab Groupware
>> kolab-imap - IMAP server for Kolab Groupware server
>> kolab-ldap - LDAP server for Kolab Groupware server
>> kolab-mta - MTA server for Kolab Groupware server
>> kolab-saslauthd - SASL Authentication Daemon for Kolab
>> kolab-schema - LDAP schema files for Kolab Groupware
>> kolab-server - Kolab Groupware Server
>> kolab-syncroton - ActiveSync for Kolab Groupware
>> kolab-telemetry - Kolab Telemetry Logging Capabilities
>> kolab-ucs - Additional UCS routines for integration
>> kolab-utils - Kolab Utils
>> kolab-webadmin - Kolab administration web interface
>> kolab-webclient - Webmail client for Kolab Groupware server
>> kolab-xml - Kolab XML format wrapper for pykolab
>>
>> So removing one of them doesn't remove the components - but in debian
>> there is a feature like:
>>
>> apt-get autoremove
>>
>> which removes the dependend packages from packages which are not
>> installed anymore. Sure somethin else for yum exists.
>>
>> Otherwise you have to remove the single packages by yourself: cyrus,
>> postfix, 389-ds ...
>>
>> Best regards
>> Jan

>> server