Kolab 3 habits...

Carpenter, Troy troy at carpenter.cx
Wed Dec 10 16:50:59 CET 2014

On 2014-12-10 10:34 am, Georg C. F. Greve wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 December 2014 10.11:24 Carpenter, Troy wrote:
>> Nine handles Actviesync actions for all items except files (I don't
>> think Syncroton handles files), so you don't use the built-in Android
>> Exchange client.  You use the actual Nine client for email, notes and
>> tasks.  Nine syncs with the built-in apps for calendar and contacts.
>
> Does it handle multiple Calendar / Task / Address book folders? That's
> one of
> the most irritating shortcomings of the ActiveSync stack on Android.
>
> It would be excellent to have an actual application compatibility list
> with
> information like that somewhere to point people to so they can make
> informed
> choices what they like best.

Yes, but you will need to modify the standard Syncroton to recognize
"android" as a client that can do multiple folders, that is until
Syncroton can set multiple folder capability per connecting client.  You
need to modify /usr/share/kolab-syncroton/lib/kolab_sync_data.php to add
"android" to the $ext_devices array.  Note that this change will affect
any Android devices that identify themselves as "android", which is
probably most except Samsung.  Samsung devices use their model name,
like "samsungsghi747", which, of course, is different for each phone
model.  In that case, it will only sync the main folder, it will no
longer combine all the folders into one flat folder.

 From there, share the folder (contacts or calendar) from one account to
another in Roundcube.  Then the "share-ee" can set the folder to sync to
the mobile device in Roundcube.  The main drawback is that
Roundcube/Syncrotron does not allow for the renaming of the folders
before syncing.  Therefore, if three people share their calendar with
you, then you will have 4 items marked "Calendar" to sync...yours plus
the three others.  The only way I can tell to differentiate them is to
give them all different colors after syncing and looking at the events
to see which is which.  By default, Nine will give all the calendars the
same color since they all appear to come from the same account.

Troy Carpenter
troy at carpenter dot cx