Kolab Webadmin (WAP) 3.3

Stuart Naylor StuartIanNaylor at inbox.com
Fri Aug 22 10:14:20 CEST 2014

Really like that WAP has some improvements and if I am reading things correctly WAP is setup up
so we can have delegated control over users.

As a sysadmin with ever reducing budgets User admin because of time and costs is a HR
responsibility. So the current additions to WAP I really welcome but please keep it really simple.

I have a little pet project that is a community center run by volenteers where I do the IT. Its a
weird scenario as in conjunction with Lancashire County Council we run courses and drop in
sessions for computer access.
Its all abou tackling the problems of digital exclusion for various sections of the community who
are dissadvantaged in the digital online world.

I guess our work practises are just a little odd ball and they dfeinately don't fit a software license
that doesn't have a concurrent user scheme.

Courses generally run for 6 - 8 weeks 2 -4 hours on one day a week.
Then we have just random drop in sessions where people can just get free access.

Even with the amazingly low priced software subscription the nature of the amount of users we
have and the administration of users is really problematic.

We might only have anywhere beween 15 - 30 users in the center at anyone time but on the
books we could have several hundred and more. With the large majority being idle for most of the
time.

So if anybody is doing any dev work with WAP would it be possible to disable / enable users
without removing them from the directory.
Having to delete and resubmit users is a huge administration task.

It is also the same with account types as wow it would be handy to be able to change the account
type also.

I really like WAP as many of the server systems I have used puts user management into the
system configuartion of the server. The delegated user manager of WAP is just perfect as User
management is a HR role and not the remit of the sysadmin.

I will have to have a go with the settings again but to be honest I have been thinking of a little
hack and hiding the settings section.
Also I did try making a change on a field for auto generation and it was a big mistake as apart
from three fields all the kolab User fields dissaperred on submit.