Upgrading to 3.2 from 3.1

Torsten Grote torsten at kolab.org
Tue Aug 12 11:32:10 CEST 2014

On Tuesday 12 August 2014 21:05:44 Brady, Mike wrote:
> The issues seemed to be related to the upgrade of Cyrus IMAP from 2.4 to the
> Kolab only 2.5.  Every folder access seemed to trigger a Cyrus index rebuild
> which impacted performance so much that Roundcube continuously timed out
> and was unusable, and this was on my personal server with one user on it.
> Any thought of doing a production system was pointless.  I had to revert
> back to 3.1 and have been running it ever since.

Without knowing the details, this sounds like a regular Cyrus upgrade
procedure and is automatically triggered when a folder is selected.

In our upgrade guide, there's a script that selects all these folders once to
trigger the upgrade:

    http://docs.kolab.org/administrator-guide/upgrading-from-kolab-2.3.html#migration-and-upgrade-of-data

If you let this run at night when few people are using the server, it should
be no problem and be fine afterwards.

> I was going to try a 3.1 to 3.3 upgrade sometime in the next few weeks
> to see if it was any better.

It will probably be the same.

> If it isn't I am probably going to be forced to look at other products,
> which would be very disappointing.

If you run Kolab in a business critical production environment you might also
want to look into a long-term support version of Kolab with a professionally
supported upgrade path and SLA.

Kind Regards,
Torsten

--