Upgrading to 3.2 from 3.1

Brady, Mike mike.brady at devnull.net.nz
Tue Aug 12 11:05:44 CEST 2014

On 2014-08-12 07:31, Nick Wiltshire wrote:
> On August 11, 2014 14:58:56 Carpenter, Troy wrote:
>> Now that 3.3 Beta is out, I'm once again looking to upgrade from 3.1
>> 3.2.  I know the subject has come up in the past, but I don't recall a
>> definitive answer.  However, if add the repos as outlined in the
>> install
>> doc here: http://docs.kolab.org/installation-guide/centos.html , then
>> do
>> an yum update, should that upgrade the system properly, or will I have
>> to do some data massaging before my system is functional again?
>>

> I have done that in the past. Each time the upgrade itself has
> succeeded,
> however I get issues with huge IO wait times and end up reverting the
> VM.
>
> YMMV, as it may be something specific to my setup that causes the
> issue.

It wasn't just you.  I had the same experience.  The issues seemed to be
related to the upgrade of Cyrus IMAP from 2.4 to the Kolab only 2.5.
Every folder access seemed to trigger a Cyrus index rebuild which
impacted performance so much that Roundcube continuously timed out and
was unusable, and this was on my personal server with one user on it.
Any thought of doing a production system was pointless.  I had to revert
back to 3.1 and have been running it ever since.

I am assuming that there needs to be a migration of some sort done on
the Cyrus spool as there has been for previous versions, but I couldn't
find any mention of this and I got no response from the list when I
asked.  I still can't find any mention of Cyrus IMAP 2.5 other than the
Kolab packages and an old Cyrus roadmap document.

I was going to try a 3.1 to 3.3 upgrade sometime in the next few weeks
to see if it was any better. If it isn't I am probably going to be
forced to look at other products, which would be very disappointing.

Regards

Mike