Kolab 3.1 User Feedback

Stuart Naylor stuartiannaylor at thursbygarden.org
Wed Aug 6 13:59:56 CEST 2014

Really happy with the 3.1 install so this is just opinion feedback.

I don't think its necessary to add any secondary emails by default.
It just makes things fussy and confused.

Having the option for secondary emails is great but allow when needed.

Also the auto name creation of uid and email names personally I feel it should prompt an auto name but allow the sysadmin to ammend.
Users (Customers) can be quite picky about user details.

Then mentioned this before when you create a shared resource would be really good to be able to supply an admin on creation.
Just select a user and give all permissions.

Apparently the ability to apply tasks to other users in 3.3 is a great addition and for me Kolab is a better system than Zarafa.

In 3.3 are tasks going to be shared?

Here is my over exuberance of finding an excellent product...

In Zarafa  they have a search-indexer and looking at cyrus squatter for emails would similar functionality.

Zarafa will index attachments and I am thinking with the file side of things this could start being important.

Could squatter be extended for mime types and extensions where we could declare some full text converters?

Also would it be possible to hold files against a contact? This would be so good.

I know this is getting into the document management arena but those simple document management additions would add a huge that would suit many industry specific applications.

I have a community centre that I offer my services for free and it works really well as also it gives me access to a small network of 25 users.

They provide drop internet access and various courses for the underprivileged with courses lasting two hours.

So they have a lot of users but only a max of 25 concurrent is the enterprise concurrent or total users?

We have a huge amount of inactive users that might come back in a couple of years.

Also for support are there any discounts for non-profts / education?

The community centre is just something I am passionate about and being a freebie its not the norm.

Personally I think I have found after a long trawl the groupware product I have been searching for over 5 years.

I still need to get my head round the difference between kolab user and posix email enabled user.

The groups function is of much importance to me and also slightly confused at roles?

Does Kolab have any hooks where scripts can be called for user admin activity?

Even if its just a simple ldif dump of that user and an include directory where a script can be run.

Also the kolab-webadmin is that going to have a delegated model where other users can log in?

Stuart