Kolab-Webmail seems to ignore mailHost from LDAP

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Mon Sep 9 18:48:09 CEST 2013

On 2013-09-04 15:46, Tobias Szyndler wrote:
> Hello list
>
> got a problem with a multi server setup of kolab 3.0
> Actually I have a LDAP server and a mailbox server. On a third server I
> want to have the webmail-client (roundcube) running. LDAP is fine and
> connects to the correct mailbox server according to mailHost setting of
> the user in LDAP. New accounts can be created on imap. So the
> communication between LDAP and mailbox server should be okay.
> The problem is the third server which runs the webmail. For me it seems
> that the webmailclient does not use the mailHost attribute from LDAP.
> It
> always connects to localhost, which fails as on the webmail server
> there
> is no imap. I saw in main.in.php that there is a default_host setting
> which i commented out. Then the webmail login showed me a third line to
> specify the server to which the webmail connects. But even if I set
> there the correct IP address of the imap server the logins always fail.
> The strange thing is that according to cyrus logs (on mailbox server)
> the logins from roundcube are valid and access is granted. But
> roundcube
> always shows "login failed".
> The main question is: Is there a way for roundcube to get the mailHost
> information from LDAP? So the user does not have to know which backend
> he/she actually is on.

For a user to not need to know what backend his/her mailbox is actually
on, one would typically point the web client to a frontend IMAP server -
however this is only applicable to actual murder topologies.

This will also eliminate the need for the user to use a specific backend
host when connecting with another client (like Kontact) as well.

Other methods include NGINX IMAP proxies, along with a little bit of a
PHP script.

That said, there's no way for Roundcube to automatically, autonomously
and disjunct from other clients, figure out what server a user's mailbox
may be on.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

--