ISP use case - "private" accounts across different domains

Jan Kowalsky tuxus at notraces.net
Fri Nov 8 09:36:38 CET 2013

Am Thursday, 7. November 2013 schrieb Erik M Jacobs:
> On 11/07/2013 12:46 AM, Mihai Badici wrote:
> > On Wednesday 06 November 2013 17:45:39 Erik M Jacobs wrote:
> >> Is it possible to enable or disable:
> >>
> >> - shared calendars
> >> - shared addressbooks
> >> - "global" addressbooks
> >>
> >> For specific domains?
> >>
> >> For example:

[....]

> >> I didn't see anything in kolab.conf that would indicate how to enable or
> >> disable sharing of these features within a domain, but I don't really
> >> know what I'm looking for.
> >
> > I'm not the most qualified person to answer but I think since metadata
> > is a extension of IMAP protocol there is no way to disable it.
> > If you think to offer "premium services" to some customer, I think you
> > can use two instances of roundcube, one with kolab plugins for premium
> > customers and another instance for regular accounts and redirect domains
> > from apache. The kolab services will be however still available for an
> > IMAP client. I think you can also use some acl on metadata folders to
> > restrict access but I think is not so simple to manage.
>
> So it sounds then like kolab is really not valuable for ISPs, because
> the addressbooks and calendars and etc. would always be shared?
>
> There is no change within a domain -- a "premium" customer would be
> bringing their own domain and should have the default behavior (things
> that are public are shared between members within a domain).
>
> The question is how to disable the sharing features for the general user
> -- typically when you go to your ISP's email service you can't see the
> calendar or contacts from someone down the street.

What exactly do you mean?
The ldap addressbook is showed in roundcube by default. But you You can
disable the ldap addressbooks in

  /etc/roundcubemailkolab_addressbook.inc.php

Data stored in imap-folders are only shared if people give explicitly rights
to other users. So they have the possibility but don't have to.

I think also e.g. for workgroups the ldap-addressbook is not so important. So
turning it off for all users in roundcube dont't prevent to use shared
addressbooks in imap-folders.

Regards
Jan