dirsrv does not start

Joe Bloggs coolstuck at aol.com
Thu Nov 7 12:53:57 CET 2013

Hi,

I've only just started to look at Kolab this last week or so.  Very impressive.

I see a few people have been having problems with setting up the 389 dirsrv on CentOS.

During my installations on CentOS 6.2 I found there was a problem with permissions on /dev/shm, which would cause setup-kolab to fail.  The failure would occur during setup, and even if the permissions were set appropriately just prior to setup, then on restart kolab would fail because of dirsrv not starting.

On reboot, CentOS 6.2 was re-setting the permissions on /dev/shm to their original pattern.  I contacted my hosting company, and it was nothing they were doing.  They suggested an init script which re-set the permissions on every boot.  That is what I used, and it got me through the setup and re-boots.

These are the permissions I use:

chmod 1777 /dev/shm

It seems to be the sticky bit that is the necessary permission.

I hope that helps some others.  Particularly since I read that CentOS may become the preferred distribution for kolab.

Joe