dovecot as alternative

Mihai Badici mihai at badici.ro
Fri May 31 09:18:58 CEST 2013

> It would be quite easy to allow dovecot as an alternative imap server.
> I'm pretty sure setup-kolab doesn't work with dovecot, and to the best
> of my knowledge setup-kolab does not check whether or not cyrus is
> installed, it just assumes that it is. Which is correct with the current
> installation dependencies.

> So it gets a little bit more complex. I'm thinking we could have kolab
> depend on an imap server (either cyrus, which would be the default, or
> dovecot, or anything else). In combination, we could move the dependency
> on cyrus to the kolab-conf package, so cyrus would be required for
> setup-kolab - at least for now. The end result being that you can
> install any old imap server, but if it isn't cyrus, you'd be on your own
> in terms of setting up your server.

If Cyrus will be required by setup-kolab I can install all kolab metapackage,
run setup-kolab and eventually remove setup-kolab and cyrus.

After that, i can install dovecot. I will manage with configuration, in fact i
will ned only one or two templates. If I will install more than two servers
probably I will wrote a pach for setup-kolab :)

> If you could file a bug, we could work against that to see what can be
> done.
>
> > Well, I could compile from source, but I already done that for
> > Slackware, on Debian it is supposed to be easy :)
>
> It is, provided the package maintainer makes it easy :-D.

Well, everybody agree, Debian is great for production use.
But when you try to abandon the "right way" it's problematic. That's way I use
slackware who let me broke my system if I want to .. and sometime even if I
don't want to :)
So I will fill a bug ( I'm not sure where, because is not a kolab issue but a
package one) and perhaps will have a nice result at the end.

> Cheers,
>
> Paul

Mihai Badici
http://mihai.badici.ro