Integration of Kolab 3 with Samba4 LDAP

Mat Cantin mat at cantinbrothers.ca
Tue May 21 23:37:52 CEST 2013

On 2013-05-21 3:42, Paul Klos wrote:
> Hi Borut,
>
> Borut Pinter schreef op 2013-05-21 12:29:
>> Mat,
>>
>> I thank you for your reply. However I'm not sure this will work as
>> both of these (samba4 and Kolab) use LDAP for user database.
>>
>> I'm not sure how to run two LDAP servers on the same machine and I
>> didn't find anywhere how I can setup kolab with different LDAP server
>> or other kind of user database the it's 386 Directory Server for now.
>>
>> If there is a way I can run 2 LDAP servers (one form samba4 and the
>> other from Kolab) I could do as you suggested but I'm not really
>> sure.
>>

>> Perfect soulution for me would be that both (Kolab and Samba) would
>> use just one common LDAP server.
>>
>> Is this possible?
>>
> I had this running on a Kolab 3 test server, although I'm not
> currently
> doing this in my live server. I followed one of the many Samba/LDAP
> tutorials out there, and managed to integrate the user management for
> both in my Kolab LDAP server.
>
> However, there were a few issues, mainly that the kolab-webadmin not
> only does not offer support for this, but actually stopped working
> after
> I added the required Samba object classes to my uses. I got a 500
> internal server error with every attempt to update a users in Kolab
> webadmin. This is also the reason I'm not actually running this in a
> live situation (yet), although it's on my list of stuff to look into.
>
> I reckon you can get it to work with alternative LDAP management
> software (I used PHPLDAPAdmin) as long as you accept that
> kolab-webadmin
> won't work anymore (or if you fix that :-D).
>
> Let us know how you get on.

The implementation I was developing was with Active Directory and
actually quite simple. It was a one way sync from Kolab to users in a
specific OU in AD and it didn't touch any of Kolab's configurations. I
was only syncing usernames and passwords and forced users to use Kolab
to change their passwords. Never did get to finish this up though and I
had to move on to different projects.

When I get some time I want to look into integrating Samba into Kolab's
LDAP, but in my case that's for file sharing where there's no other
central authentication server.

--
Mat