adressbook setings in Kontact/Kmail

Fenuks fenuksuh at ya.ru
Tue May 7 06:59:42 CEST 2013

Hello,

I'm using Kontact 4.10.1 on Gentoo. I could find no wizards to set up Kolab,
but setting everything manually just works.
First, LDAP address book is just a LDAP address book, does not have to be part
of Kolab. Second, I would recommend using secure ldap connection, so either
TLS over 389 port or ldaps.
Here's how I set it up:
1) In Kontact go to Settings-Configure Kontact…
2) There go to Contacts-LDAP Server Settings
3) Click Add Host… (if you already have one that's not working, select it and
click Edit Host…)
4) There settings should be like:
  Security: TLS (or SSL)
  Authentication: Simple (this will unlock Bind DN and Password fields)
  Bind DN: uid=useruid,ou=People,dc=yourdomain,dc=tld (assuming you're using
Kolab3 and your user with useruid is in the domain yourdomain.tld)
  Password: your password obviously
  Host: yourhost.yourdomain.tld (name of your mail server)
  DN: dc=yourdomain,dc=tld
  LDAP version: 3 (should be there by default)
5) Pointless to click Query server, unless your server was set up to accept
anonymous binds.
6) Click Ok and make sure your server is ticked in the LDAP servers list.
Click Ok in settings and you should be done.
To check that things are working:
1) Compose new letter
2) In To line click Select… button
3) There Search Directory Service
4) Enter name of the recipient you know is in your LDAP and click Search
5) If you did everything right, it will find your recipient. Select and click
Add Selected
6) Check that added recipient has correct name and email in To field.
7) Send the mail to be completely sure

Hope it helps.
Regards,
Alexej Ruseckij