Multiple Delivery Question

Scott Lambert lambert at lambertfam.org
Sat Mar 23 00:31:00 CET 2013

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 01:55:44PM +1100, Mark Berndt wrote:
> Cool,
>
> good solution.  I don't know much about sieve.

If you are using a good IMAP server which supports Sieve, you should
read up on its basics.

> but don't you need to tell your user to pickup from one address but
> ask people to send to a different address?

Sieve is server side filtering.  Once configured, there is no need
for user interaction.

A message comes in, cyrus-imap sees that the user has sieve filters
defined and runs the message through them.  Those filters can do
pretty much anything with the messages.  No one ever has to check
the original recipient's account for the rules to take effect.

For forwarding, usually the message is simply passed on to the
forward destination, much like the forward destination had always
been a Bcc: recipient.  You can choose to leave a copy in the
original recipient's account or not.

The forward destination recipient can reply to the sender using the
usual methods.  In this case, "Dad" is probably not going to reply
to any of these messages since he is just making sure the kids stay
out of trouble.

> How do you manage return addresses?

Answering that question depends on the senario in which the forward
rule is used.  There are an infinite number of senarios in which
you might want to use this type of setup.

There are many ways to handle replies to the original message,
including causing your e-mail client to use the original recipient
e-mail address as the From: for the reply.  But that is client
specific.

lambert at lambertfam.org