Stable Kontact client for Kolab3

Mat Cantin mat at cantinbrothers.ca
Tue Mar 19 17:10:12 CET 2013

On 2013-03-13 21:49, Mihai Badici wrote:
> On Thursday, March 14, 2013 03:24:53 PM Kolab Users wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>

>> We've been testing the latest Kontact client on Windows, experimental
>
>> from July 2012 seems to be the only client available? this release is
>
>> quite buggy, crashes constantly and deletes IMAP folders at whim
>> (thank
>
>> goodness for backups).
>

>> It looks good but is quite unstable and unusable. Any ideas if
>> Kontact
>
>> for Windows is still being developed?
>

>> Currently testing with Thunderbird and Lightning and it's quite
>> stable
>
>> and fast, but that doesn't seem as feature packed as Kontact.
>

>> Regards,
>

>> Michael.
>

> Unfortunately, it's all we have :)
>
> Did you try the new Outlook with ActiveSync support? I didn't succeed
> (with evaluation version in a virtual machine) but in theory it should
> work .

I have tried Outlook 2013 with ActiveSync, it actually didn't really
work very well. It seem to poll the server way to much and often
"refresh" the inbox, specially when changing folders. Also, it would not
sync any other folder than the Inbox regardless of what folders were set
to sync in the kolab settings. The other annoying thing was that it
would show all the calendars set to sync as one calendar with no way to
tell which was which. My recommendation is to stay away from this for
now.

On a related note, I've gotten some good new from Bynari. In my
opinion, if you want a fat client on Windows, Outlook with the Bynari
connector this is the way to go.

Following is there message to me: