kolab3 locks up every 2 days

Mat Cantin mat at cantinbrothers.ca
Fri Mar 8 21:01:56 CET 2013

On 2013-03-04 16:23, Mat Cantin wrote:
> On 2013-03-01 6:25, JP Horst wrote:

>>> It could be the Directory server is running out of file descriptors
>>> -
>>> this should show in /var/log/dirsrv/slapd-*/errors
>>>
>>> Please see [1] for upstream documentation on tweaking the system to
>>> optimize 389's performance.
>>>
>>> https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/8.2/
>>> html/Performance_Tuning_Guide/system-tuning.html
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>>
>>> Jeroen van Meeuwen
>>
>> Yes that seems to be the problem.
>> However, this is not a question of optimization but of having a
>> running server
>> at all. Our kolab3 system is used by 9 people. This number should not
>> be a
>> bottleneck.
>>
>> Thank you for the link though. I will have a look at the
>> documentation.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Jens-Peter

> I have this problem with one of my production servers, very annoying.
> What I've setup as a workaround is this script that runs every night.
> be honest, it still sometimes locks up during the day and requires me
> manually run the scripts, but it's better than restarting the server.
>
> #!/bin/bash
> /etc/init.d/kolab-saslauthd stop
> /etc/init.d/kolabd stop
> /etc/init.d/dirsrv restart
> /etc/init.d/kolabd start
> /etc/init.d/kolab-saslauthd start
>
> I've upped the file descriptors on this server, but it just delays the
> inevitable. Hope someone figures out a patch soon...
>
> --
> Mat

I just wanted to follow up with this problem. It seems my server did
this twice this morning in the span of 4 hours... the access logs might
shed some light on the problem, but I'm not really sure what I'm looking
at.

Right before the crash, the logs are filled with thousands of lines of
this:
[08/Mar/2013:04:24:49 -0800] conn=94601 op=6 SRCH
base="cn=kolab,cn=config" scope=2
filter="(&(associatedDomain=mail.mydomain.ca))" attrs="associatedDomain"
[08/Mar/2013:04:24:49 -0800] conn=94601 op=6 RESULT err=0 tag=101
nentries=0 etime=0

Once I run my script (shown above), the logs have a few hundred lines
of this:
[08/Mar/2013:08:22:05 -0800] conn=94518 op=3 fd=985 closed - U1
[08/Mar/2013:08:22:05 -0800] conn=94501 op=3 UNBIND

Again, this server is only hosting 5 users who all use the roundcube
interface, IMAPS, and activesync. Not really sure why the conn and fd
counts are so high.

--
Mat