Owncloud Integration - Single Login

Thomas Brüderli bruederli at kolabsys.com
Wed Mar 6 14:15:26 CET 2013

Anthony Farrell wrote:
> I have Kolab 3.0 and Owncloud integrated using the roundcube plugin on
> Centos 6.3 and can see the 'Files' icon. I think it's a great tool. However
> the integration does not provide a single authenticated login as my novice
> examination of the owncloud.php code indicates it should.
>
> Does anyone else have this working successfully? What other configuration
> is required other than activating the plugin in main.inc.php?

I have just committed some recent changes to the ownCloud integration
plugin for Roundcube. Grab the latest version from
http://git.kolab.org/roundcubemail-plugins-kolab/

The plugin is still a proof-of-concept and lots of work would need to be
done on both sides. The sources now contain an ownCloud app and a modified
theme which have to be installed to ownCloud. The installation and
configuration procedure is explained in the README file. Here's a little
extract that describes the plugin a bit more:

"""
The plugin embeds the web UI for ownCloud though an iframe into the
Roundcube user interface. When accessing ownCloud though Roundcube, the
user's login credentials (username + password) will be handed over to
ownCloud in order to automatically authenticate the current Roundcube user
to ownCloud. This exchange happens with HTTP requests directley between the
ownCloud server and the Roundcube server using signed URLs to prevent from
interception.

IMPRTANT: The automatic user authentication only works if both apps use the
same authentication backend. In the Kolab realm this is LDAP. You therefore
need to configure the LDAP user authentication backend in ownCloud.

Once authenticated, the user sees the ownCloud file manager within
Roundcube and can do whether he/she is authorized to do. When composing a
new email message in Roundcube, an addition button appear to select files
from the ownCloud storage (this feaure is not yet fully implemented).

When terminating the session in Roundcube by pressing the Logout button, an
according message is sent to ownCloud to termiate the user's session there,
too.
"""

Everybody is welcome to push this integration further and to share their
additions with us.

Regards,
Thomas