dovecot as alternative

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Mon Jun 3 19:41:31 CEST 2013

On 2013-06-02 20:38, Mihai Badici wrote:
> On Sunday 02 June 2013 17:33:37 Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
>> (...snip...)
>
> There are lot of differences.
> But will be good if we can play with  for testing purposes.
>
> What I want in fact is to allow me to install dovecot after I installed
> kolab.
> I could simply stop cyrus (disable it) and start dovecot.
>
> I will be on my own after, for sure.

Nothing actually prevents you from running proverbial "yum -y install
kolab && setup-kolab && yum -y remove cyrus-imapd" - to be followed by
the installation of Dovecot.

I'm sure that, as a part of the dependency chain, removing cyrus-imapd
will also remove the kolab-imap and kolab meta-packages, but these do
not ship any content and do not provide any other functionality than
being able to "yum install kolab".

While I reckon you would then want to configure the IMAP backend (see
references to cyrus-imap in /etc/kolab/kolab.conf) to be 'dovecot', it
would result in the attempt to load pykolab.git/pykolab/imap/dovecot.py,
which does not exist[1].

We will need to provide the functions called from within the
pykolab/imap/__init__.py IMAP class in the pykolab/imap/dovecot.py,
performing whatever is the equivalent of the expected Kolab behaviour
when running against Dovecot.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

[1] http://git.kolab.org/pykolab/tree/pykolab/imap