syncing with an external LDAP server

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Wed Jan 30 18:50:23 CET 2013

On 2013-01-28 21:48, Mateusz Kijowski wrote:
> 2013/1/24 Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems)
> <vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com>:
> [cut]
>
>>> But to the point - I want to deploy Kolab 3 and somehow import user
>>> information kept in a separate LDAP (OpenDJ) server. I am willing to
>>> do some scripting but I'm not sure where to start. Are there any
>>> tools/APIs Kolab provides to ease importing users from other
>>> datastore?
>>>

>> I would rather aim to support OpenDJ - have you got a test
>> environment
>> in which you could hook up Kolab directly to OpenDJ and experiment?
>
> Sure. I'm using OpenDJ as a backend for OpenAM which I use for SSO and
> user management. I might try to connect Kolab with my test
> environment, but I suppose that Kolab requires some custom LDAP
> schema. Where can I get or learn what schema modifications I need?

Kolab doesn't actually *require* LDAP schema changes, or additions, but
some of the functionality that is included with Kolab depends on a set
of attributes that are usually not available through other schemas.

For example, while our schema would ship "kolabDelegate", you might
want to use "secretary" instead.

I'm not saying that would work right out of the box, and there is
likely some configuration as well as code modifications required, but
I'm saying I'd take a ticket requesting such be enhanced if you're
willing to create them.

That said, the schema extensions we use are at
http://git.kolab.org/kolab-schema/.

If you can get either the .ldif and/or .schema in to OpenDJ, even if
you need to make modifications, I'll gladly add the resulting set to a
contrib/opendj/ in that very same git repository.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

--
Systems Architect, Kolab Systems AG