CPU usage and disk activity

Alexander Haensch alexander.haensch at ipc.uni-tuebingen.de
Mon Jan 21 11:22:14 CET 2013

On 01/21/2013 11:02 AM, kolab-users-request at kolab.org wrote:
> On 20/01/2013 8:57 PM, Stefan Froehlich wrote:
>> I recently installed Kolab 3.0 on a Debian Wheezy box. Today at about
>> 4pm it started with some disk activity and high cpu load. As soon as I
>> stop the kolab-server there is no disk activity and cpu load is normal.
>> Starting kolab-server again restarts disk activity and cpu load as well.
>> Now it is 9pm and the disk activity and cpu load is still above normal.
>> As far as i can see there is nothing suspicious in the logs. What causes
>> the disk activity?
>>
>> MfG Stefan Fröhlich
>> 42 ;-)

> I've stopped kolab-server now. Everything works as usual. I'm able to
> send and receive emails and also syncroton works fine. That leads me
> to the question: What is the kolab-server process for? And if it is
> important to have it running: How can I stop the high CPU load and
> constant disk usage?
>
> MfG Stefan Fröhlich
> 42 ;-)
As i understand it, the kolab deamon does some maintenance work on the
mailboxes, creation of mailboxes/users, deletion and so on.
I see se same problem with kolabd, but in my case the installation is
damaged because i deleted the main domain on that server. So i have to
restart from scratch again.
If i start top i see kolab and ns-slapd consuming a lot of cpu.
What processes are active in your case?

regards,
Alexander Haensch