kolab metadata

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Wed Jan 16 10:48:09 CET 2013

On 2013-01-16 09:33, Mihai Badici wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 16, 2013 12:53:46 AM Diane Trout wrote:
>> Ahha, it does look like pykolab has a dependency on the ANNOTATEMORE
>> extension because of the following. In
>>
>> http://git.kolab.org/pykolab/tree/pykolab/imap/__init__.py#n138
>>
>> kolab tries to use a cyrus specific, dovecot specific, or python
>> generic
>> module for talking to the IMAP server. The cyrus and imaplib modules
>> seem
>> to be sending GETANOTATION calls (e.g. the old specification)
>>

> I use a simplified version of kolab.
> I think python is only used in webadmin or various configuration
> scripts.

The python code you are looking at is used for Wallace (the content
filter), the Kolab daemon (that synchronizes changes in LDAP to
mailboxes), the command-line interface ("kolab lm", "kolab cm", "kolab
set-mailbox-metadata").

The Kolab web admin doesn't in fact do anything with IMAP.

A configuration setting in /etc/kolab/kolab.conf is supposed to control
which IMAP backend-specific routines the Kolab daemon and CLI will
attempt to use. This setting is "imap_backend" in the [kolab] section.

I've only very briefly looked at running a Kolab daemon against
Dovecot, but it doesn't seem Dovecot's administration is done over IMAP
(i.e. I did not seem to be able to login as an administrator user in
order to create/rename/delete mailboxes for users).

Long story short it seems that for Dovecot, we definitely need the IMAP
backend-specific routines (that do something entirely different than the
Cyrus IMAP backend does), where "create a new mailbox for a new user" is
redirected to whichever routine Dovecot is used to having executed.

> 3. SMTP server. I use a standard postfix with ldap support.
>
> I think in kolab there is also a standard postfix with some
> customizations to
> allow management from web admin console.

In fact, the two Kolab components that hook in to postfix (other then
the settings we set up Kolab with, that are LDAP lookup tables for
recipient addresses and such and so forth), are Wallace (the content
filter, not really hooking in) and the Kolab SMTP Access Policy (that
enables authorization of use of sender and recipient email addresses,
such as in use in a delegation scenario).

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

--
Systems Architect, Kolab Systems AG